12/10/07

Blueprint is folding

After about a year of having feelings towards Martha Stewart's Blueprint that there must be a German word for (disappointment, disgust, irritation, and yet through all that still some attraction and even jealousy), I read this morning that the magazine is folding. I wanted to like Blueprint so much but always found it condescending and flimsy. I thought everyone else must have liked it, though, because MSLO was supporting it so fully, setting its editor up with the Today Show and all, and because some of my favorite craft bloggers kept raving about each new issue. I guess not.

I think Martha Stewart Weddings is an amazingly beautiful and creative magazine, and, stupidly, until today I had not thought of Blueprint as the logical subscription to pick up after Weddings--crafty lifestyle advice for stylish young couples or women who might not be ready yet for the full-on Living experience. You know, Weddings for my engaged younger sister, Blueprint for newlywed me, and Living for my more established mother. I wish they had succeeded, since the ideal version of this magazine is something I would very very much like to get every month.

Even when I was irritated with the magazine, I liked its blog, Bluelines, and it sounds as if they're going to keep that going even when the magazine dies. Yay!

No comments: