6/12/08

A job I would NOT be good at!

PW and I are lucky enough to be getting some furniture reupholstered so that our place will all go together and look semi-adult vs. looking like a 27 year old girl lives there alone! One of the things I had planned to do was to reupholster a bench that I was lucky to inherit from my grandmother. I spent about 4 hours reupholstering it on Tuesday and I am really excited about it. It took the majority of my time to rip off the old upholstery. Once I had it all off the hardest part was finishing the corners so that they didn’t look horrible. I know it doesn’t look professional but I am actually pretty excited for how well my first home upholstery project went! Here are some pictures!

Here is a close up of what the checks look like. I think the bench needs some pillows on it. I went and looked for some today but found nothing . . .


Here is the bench with the swatches of the other fabrics we are using. Thank goodness I am marrying a boy who understands my love of the color blue! I think he was not a fan of the checks at first but I love the checks. The print on the left will be for two wing back chairs that we are inheriting from PW’s mom. The big check is what will be table skirt for a round end table I have. And the cream color fabric will be an arm chair and ottoman and the piping will be in the small check! I can’t wait to see it all put together!
So I was going to do another at home reupholstery job on some dining chairs that I inherited from my grandmother but after my bench job I changed my mind. First off I have always loved chairs that have covers with little skirts. Second the chairs are not straight on all sides and I just didn’t want to waste fabric doing a horrible job. SO we are going to get little chair covers like the ones on the Shabby Chic website (below) that are oh so cute. We are going to get them made in the small check fabric that the bench is in!

Front of skirt:
Back of skirt (ties on with little bows!):

I love Shabby Chic and if I was able to continue living in a space filled with light fabric and painted furniture I would! Trust me, if it were up to me I would be painting that bench an ivory color and destressing it! Unfortunately I have to agree with PW that it might just be a touch too girly for him. However when we have a house big enough to do it I will have my Shabby Chic room!

No comments: