2/1/08

blog cooking

I did a bit of cooking from food blogs last night and it was deemed a success. I hope someday I will learn how to do photos, but for now..........just words.
I first attempted Ruth Reichl's chocolate cake posted by a blogger on Serious Eats. I left out the brown sugar......she said to add the sugar (not sugarS), and I had only measured the white, when the baby (RRR)called with some exciting news. I'm somewhat dislexic when it comes to reading recipes in the first place, and then when interrupted.....well, only the white sugar was added , then the eggs......one at a time.......then......oh, no.....the brown sugar! When was that supposed to go in? So I added it after the eggs. Was that the reason the cake came out so flat? I don't know. I had started the icing, but it was time to EAT. I suggested having the cake first (Cake for Dinner!!!), but the baby said to do it in the right order. Good baby.
So next I made 24 Boxes' Roasted Squash and Black Bean Quesadillas. Because I had seen The Wednesday Chef substitute canned pumpkin for roasted squash in a pie, I decided I could do the same for this recipe (aren't ya'll proud of me!). It worked wonderfully, and everyone was happy. I put together the quesadillas and the baby did the cooking. Don't move, baby (was that subliminal?) It was then that I discovered a note at the end of the recipe to "make roasted tomato salsa to go with the quesadillas"....... Salsa in a jar would have to do. Along with sour cream, it was a crowd pleaser.
Next, the icing for the cake.....it seemed like too little in the mixing bowl, but it was just right for the cake (I halved both recipes). The icing was not sweet enough for the baby (she suggested her own favorite buttercream to go with THIS cake, which she loved), but MJR and I enjoyed it a lot.
We were all stuffed! So......thanks food bloggers for our great dinner!
PS I also had a butter tasting yesterday! After investigating cultured and uncultured butter on the internet and then finding some of the butters at Central Market that I had read about, I bought three new ones to try. More on those later......

3 comments:

RHRB said...

What a great post! I can't wait to try those quesadillas, and I know someone else who is always excited to have quesadillas for dinner...AMB! I'm sorry about the imprecise cake instructions. I don't know if that is my fault or Ruth's, since I rewrite recipes when I post them.

I look forward to hearing about the butter tasting. That is something I have always wanted to do. I also want to make shortbread with different kinds of butter and see if I can taste the difference.

I am making enchiladas for dinner tonight. Thank you for the post!

RHRB said...

P.S. I just checked, and it is my fault with the sugar---Ruth wrote sugarS. You just taught me an important lesson about recipe writing. But I don't see why adding it after the eggs would make the cake flatter (?).

Also, yes, good job with the squash substitution!

RRR said...

Oh you have got to make the quesadillas RH! We had them again tonight along with some tasty Rice Krispy treats! They might be one of my favorite new dinners and I don't feel bad about eating them! And PS-mom tried making them and adding broccoli to the inside mix and it was tasy and a good way to sneak in some broccoli. Move over Mrs. Seinfield!